Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hastening The Work of Salvation



Dearest Sister,

I love hearing President Thomas S. Monson’s personal stories.  We can learn so much from him. He shares this experience: “Many years ago, before I left to become a mission President of the Canadian Mission, I developed a friendship with a man by the names of Shelley, who lived in my ward area but who did not embrace the gospel, despite the fact that his wife and children had become members of the Church.  He had been known as the toughest man in town when he was young.  Try as I might, I could not bring about a change in Shelley’s attitude toward the Church.  He was unalterably opposed to it.  The task appeared hopeless.  In time Shelley and his family moved from our ward.
After I had returned from Canada and was called to the Twelve, I received a telephone call from Shelley.  He said, “will you seal my wife and me and our family in the Salt Lake Temple?” 
I answered hesitantly, “But, Shelley, you first much be a baptized member of the Church.”  He laughed and responded, “I took care of that while you were in Canada.  My home teacher is a school crossing guard, and every weekday as he and I would visit at the crossing we would discuss the gospel.”
If someone asked me, before we left for Canada, who of all my acquaintances I would consider the least likely candidate for baptism, I would probably have given Shelley’s name. Yes, people can change.”
Who would have known? In our experiences with those around us, let’s be positive toward them.  Let’s be their friend; Love them, encourage them and whenever possible, invite them. 
We are encouraged to pray and ask the Lord to bless us with missionary opportunities, and with faith they will come.  They will flow as a natural result of our love for our brothers and sisters. Be positive, and those whom you speak with will feel your love.  Trust the Lord.  The key is that you be inspired of God, that you ask Him for direction and then go and do was the spirit prompts you. What an exciting time to be a member of this Church.
We hope everyone is reading the Book of Mormon as a family and individually and reaping the blessing from doing so.   

We love you all,
Sherry Moore


No comments:

Post a Comment