Sunday, November 16, 2014

Is Your "To Do's" List Bringing You Down?

Dear Sisters, 

I am a very task oriented person: lists, calendar reminders, goals charts are ways for me to stay on top of my family and my busy schedule. Even with all the tools I use to motivate, track and complete tasks, I often fail to accomplish everything I set out to do each day.  There are just too many things to do, too many distractions and too many unplanned events that derail our perfectly layout plans. But do they really?

I recently watched a Mormon message titled “Is your ‘To Do’ list bringing you down?’” I could identify myself with the frazzled mother trying to do her best to serve her family, neighbors and friends who looks at her ‘to do’ list at the end of a difficult day and sees only what’s still left on it.
At the end of the video President Hinckley states, “Many of you think you are failures. You feel you cannot do well, that with all of your effort it is not sufficient.”

“We all worry about our performance. We all wish we could do better. But unfortunately we do not realize, we do not often see the results that come of what we do. My dear sisters, you are doing the best you can, and that best results in good to yourself and to others. Do not nag yourself with a sense of failure. Get on your knees and ask for the blessings of the Lord; then stand on your feet and do what you are asked to do. Then leave the matter in the hands of the Lord. You will discover that you have accomplished something beyond price.”

Years ago I realized I could not do everything on my ‘to do’ list. It was then that I applied the promised given to us by Pres. Hinckley. I do what I am asked to do by the Lord – prayer, scripture study, family home evening, church service – and leave the rest in His hands. He has blessed me to be able to do everything I must do (not want to do) and to recognized those unplanned events as a way in which He manifests His hand in my life. Sisters, don’t be discouraged, you are amazing women. You do more good than you realize. May you be blessed with the strength to do all you must do and the wisdom to know what’s most important.

Much love,
Romy Humphries


No comments:

Post a Comment