Sunday, November 16, 2014

Peace Be Still

Dearest Sister,

Recently, we had a lesson in Relief Society on “Peace In Troubled Times”.  In David A. Bednar’s new book, Power to Become, there is a story that brings up an interesting principle to consider when learning about peace in troubled times.  Elder Bednar relates the story of a young couple who just three weeks after their marriage, found the husband had bone cancer.  After many treatments and surgeries, Elder Bednar was asked to administer a priesthood blessing.  Not intending to ask this question, Elder Bednar was surprised that he was impressed to ask, “John, do you have the faith not to be healed?...do you have the faith to submit to His will and not be healed?”
 Elder Bednar teaches us a principle that applies “to every devoted disciple: strong faith in the Savior includes submissively accepting His will and timing in our lives—even if the outcome is not what we hoped for or wanted.” 
 Later, John told Elder Bednar, “…I do not want to die. I do not want to leave Heather.  But if the will of the Lord is to transfer me to the spirit world, then I guess I am good with that.”
Elder Bednar  responds, “ My heart swelled with appreciation and admiration as I witnessed this young couple confronting the most demanding of all spiritual struggles—the submissive surrender of their wills to God’s will.” 
 John expressed to Elder Bednar that, “Having the faith not to be healed seemed counterintuitive; but that perspective changed the way my wife and I thought and allowed us to put our trust fully in the Father’s plan for us.  We learned we needed to gain the faith that the Lord is in charge whatever the outcome may be.  As we prayed, our petitions changed from ‘Please make me whole’ to ‘Please give me the faith to accept whatever outcome Thou has planned for me.’
 One might ask, as John did, “Why should I have faith if His will ultimately is what will prevail?  …having faith…was not necessarily knowing that He would heal me, but that he could heal me.  I had to believe that he could, and then whether it happened was up to Him.  As I allowed those two ideas to coexist in my life, focused faith in Jesus Christ and complete submission to His will, I found greater comfort and peace.”
 Is our faith sufficient that we will be submissive enough to surrender our will to God’s will?
 May we all ponder the importance of  remembering that our purpose on earth is to learn what God wants us to learn.
 “Sometimes God calms the storm… sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child.” (unknown)
We love you sisters,
 Frankie Holt


No comments:

Post a Comment